Montessori Extras Parenting

New You for the New Year-12 months to an even better you

By Anitra

It’s that time of year again when its time to say goodbye to another year.  You reflect on the past year and ask yourself if you’ve accomplished all that you set out to accomplish at the beginning of 2017.  I know that for me, I didn’t accomplish everything I set out to, but I did accomplish some amazing things this past year.  At the end of every year, people set unrealistic goals and make unreasonable resolutions for themselves; (trust me, I am guilty of this as well).

Here are a few of the most common New Year’s resolutions are:

1. Exercise more

2. Lose weight

3. Eat more healthy

4. Stop smoking

5. Drink less alcohol

6. Save money

7. Get organized

These resolutions always sound good, and you start out strong on accomplishing them.  But as the year progresses, they get harder and harder to keep up with.  Want to know why?  These are unreasonable and unrealistic goals.  I’ve learned over the years after failing at accomplishing my resolutions, that the common resolutions are so overwhelming to do all at once.  I chose to do a few at a time, and I had better results.  Maybe try a few of these each year, but trying to do them all at once makes it almost impossible to complete.

With that being said,  I think that it’s time to make some goals and resolutions that are actually reasonable and realistic, and you will definitely be able to accomplish!  By the end of 2018, you’ll have hopefully developed a few new habits that are a part of your daily life and that you can carry and build upon going in to 2019!

Monthly ideas to have your best year yet

January-Get more sleep:

Getting enough sleep is good for your heart, mind, and overall wellness.

February-Practice mindfulness:

Mindfulness is a way to be aware of thoughts & feelings.  It helps to reduce stress and strengthens mental health.

March-Take up an anti-stress activity:

Yoga, meditation, coloring books & gardening are inexpensive ways to reduce your stress levels.  Less stress leads to a better you!

April-Value experiences over things:

Plan a weekend getaway, plan a family night once a week, take a spur of the moment drive…These experiences are so much more valuable than buying things.  Create memories.  Experiences last longer than items.

May-Learn a new skill:

Learning a new skill will get you out of your comfort zone.  Dance class, a cooking class, a new language, sewing & ceramics are just a few suggestions.  You may end up finding something that you never knew you were good at!

June-Start a journal:

Write down your goals, your dreams, or your thoughts in a journal.  Writing can release stress and can be therapeutic.  Try writing in your journal at least once a week.

July-Unplug and unwind:

Put away technology for at least an hour and devote that time to yourself and/or your loved ones.  Talk about your day, play a game, or spend quality time together doing something you all enjoy.

August-Get outside & enjoy nature:

Go on a walk, a bike ride, go to the park, or go camping.  Getting outside is a good way to reduce stress and take a step back.  Nature has so much to offer, take advantage of it!

September-Complete a 30 Day Challenge:

Participate in a 30 Day Challenge of your choice.  Challenges related to fitness, health, money-saving, organization, fashion & gratitude are all popular challenges.  There are so many other activity challenges you can do; just do an online search for a topic you are interested in.

October-Read a book:

Take time to start reading a book.  Reading is a relaxing activity.  Find a book on the bestseller list, or ask a friend for a recommendation.

November-Practice generosity:

Volunteer your time at a charity or organization for a cause that interest you.  Volunteering and giving back to others leaves a positive impact on you as well.

December-Start one thing you’ve been putting off:

Whether it’s a small task that you’ve been putting off forever, or something big that you’ve been wanting to start; just get started on it!  Break it up into smaller chunks, and work on it throughout the month.

Many of these monthly activities can be shared with others in your family.  Besides, it is much easier to accomplish your goals when you have someone to encourage you!  I don’t know about you, but accomplishing my goals is SO much easier when I have the encouragement and support of my family or friends.  Without their support, I wouldn’t achieve half of what I’d like to.

So grab your better half, your kids, and your friends and start knocking out those goals!  You’re on your way to a better you; make 2018 your best year yet!

Remember…the best way to succeed at resolutions is to create new habits that are easily attainable and realistic!

Anitra

5 things to NEVER ask your child's teacher

previous post

6 tips on finding a Montessori preschool for your child

next post

Comments

• Lisa

January 3, 2018

I really like the idea of having one goal per month. That definitely makes it much more reasonable to accomplish some goals/resolutions!

reply to Lisa
  • shanna

January 3, 2018

what a great idea to break it down by month! I’m gonna try it!

reply to shanna
  • Kristen

January 2, 2018

These are some really awesome ideas! Sleep is so important as it affects everything you do and will impact your other goals as well.

reply to Kristen
  • Kim

January 1, 2018

Great idea doing a monthly theme. Will you be reminding us of these each month maybe in social media?

reply to Kim
    • Anitra

January 1, 2018

Thanks Kim! I hadn’t thought about reminders, but I will definitely do it!👍

reply to Anitra
  • Shannon

January 1, 2018

These are great ideas! Definitely will be tucking this away for future reference!

reply to Shannon
  • Christy

December 30, 2017

This is a wonderful idea. I stopped making resolutions years ago and instead pick a few goals that are broken down quarterly. This is even better! Month-to-month is so much more realistic!

reply to Christy
  • Bola

December 30, 2017

This monthly goals seem so much attainable. Thanks for sharing

reply to Bola
  • Nicolette

December 30, 2017

I like the month-to-month approach! Seems more attainable!

reply to Nicolette
  • Angie

December 30, 2017

These are all great ideas. Spreading them out over the year sounds so much more doable. Thanks.

reply to Angie
  • Kim

December 29, 2017

This is a great list! I might take a few of your ideas! 😉

reply to Kim
    • Anitra

December 30, 2017

Hi Kim, please do!😉👍

reply to Anitra
  • Chantel

December 29, 2017

All great ideas to commit to in the new year. An overwhelming list, but taken one month at a time, definitely within reach! I’m going to save this one 🙂 Thanks for sharing.

reply to Chantel
  • Melina

December 29, 2017

What a neat idea of a goal each month! Never heard of this! Keep us updated on how this goes!

reply to Melina
  • Dee

December 29, 2017

I loved this post. I am working on a similar one right now. This monthly format is a great idea.

reply to Dee
  • Monica

December 29, 2017

I love how this is broken down by month and focuses on different aspects that are important in all our lives. Mental and physical health shouldn’t be ignored.

reply to Monica
  • Laura Belle

December 29, 2017

That’s a great idea to break up your goal into monthly bits.

reply to Laura Belle
  • Dawnmarie

December 29, 2017

Not only do I think that you have some excellent ideas on this list, I also like how you broke them down. In my business, we say, “One Simple Change at a time. This fits right in! I tweeted it on my health coach Twitter account. Thank you for sharing.

reply to Dawnmarie
  • Rigel Celeste

December 29, 2017

This month-by-month layout is awesome. 🙂

reply to Rigel Celeste
  • Heidi

December 29, 2017

I really like that you broke down a resolution for each month. It makes it manageable and easy to do! 🙂

reply to Heidi
  • Kesha

December 29, 2017

My husband and I were just talking about goal setting and creating realistic goals. We have big dreams and vision and some times we can overload ourselves with so many ideas and no discipline. We decided to focus on one or two things at a time and perfect those things before moving on to other items.

reply to Kesha
  • Verla

December 28, 2017

What a refreshing New Year’s post. I can do this. Loved the post and it’s messages. A gift.

reply to Verla
  • Deanna

December 28, 2017

I like that the goals are broken down into months. Seems to resonate better with the way people think and would likely yield more positive long lasting results.

reply to Deanna
  • Amy

December 28, 2017

I like the “start something you’ve been putting off” for December, not January:)

reply to Amy
  • Charlie

December 28, 2017

This is a great way to organize new ideas! It doesn’t place too much on our plate at one time! Love this idea! I LOVE organization and going to have to incorporate this way of thinking… of course, I like to get it all done at once 🙂 which is not good! Thanks for the wisdom!

reply to Charlie
  • Stephanie

December 28, 2017

Love this! Monthly goals are so much easier to accomplish than yearly ones. I love the get outside and unplug goals- something most people need to do more of!

reply to Stephanie
  • Terri

December 28, 2017

I just finished a blog post about this very thing, and I love your month-by-month resolutions! Yearly resolutions can become overwhelming quickly!

reply to Terri
    • Anitra

December 28, 2017

Thanks Terri! I think monthly goals are easier to accomplish!

reply to Anitra
  • Jocelyn

December 28, 2017

I LOVE this idea of giving each month a new goal instead of having a crazy long list (that usually overwhelms me and doesn’t happen) at the beginning of the year! Thanks for the inspiration!

reply to Jocelyn
    • Anitra

December 28, 2017

Thanks Jocelyn! Having a crazy list overwhelms me as well. Monthly goals are so much easier!

reply to Anitra